If you see a downed power line, it is important to stay away from it at all times and contact Grayson Rural Electric immediately.  Please do not try to remove anything that might be tangled in power lines, even if you think the line is dead.

If you have a portable generator, it should not be connected to any of the utility power lines, or it should be equipped with a properly installed double-throw switch installed by a licensed electrician.  Generators that are not isolated or installed properly can feed back in to our lines and may cause serious injury to anyone coming in contact with those wires. 

Read all instructions carefully and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.

First, never run your generator indoors or in your garage.  Generators should only be run in a well-ventilated area.  Gasoline-powered generators produce carbon monoxide and the fumes can be deadly if there is not adequate ventilation.

Second, plug appliances directly into the generator using heavy duty, properly grounded extension cords. Make sure that extension cords are not frayed or worn. Limit the electrical load placed on the generator to no more than the recommended wattage. Do not connect your power generator directly to your home’s main fuse box or circuit panel. Use the generator only when necessary. Turn the generator off at night while you sleep and when you are away from home. For the safety of anyone who may be in the proximity of your home, do not attempt to connect your generator to your home wiring.

If you have any doubts about how to properly use a portable electric generator, contact the manufacturer or a licensed electrician for assistance.

Heavy rains often cause flooding in lowland areas, homes and basements. Grayson RECC  reminds everyone to be aware of the electric hazards flooding creates. Safety measures to keep in mind include the following:

  • Never step into a flooded basement or other room if water may be in contact with electrical outlets, appliances or cords. The water could be energized, and could shock or electrocute you.
  • Never attempt to turn off power at the breaker box if you must stand in water to do so. If you can’t reach your breaker box safely, call us to shut off power at the meter.
  • Never use electric appliances or touch electric wires, switches or fuses when you’re wet or when you’re standing in water.
  • Keep electric tools and equipment at least 10 feet away from wet surfaces. Do not use electric yard tools if it’s raining or the ground is wet.
  • If an electrical appliance has been in contact with water, have a professional check it out before it is used. It may need to be repaired or replaced.